Monday 6 August 2007

post 19. a touch of home

those who know me know about my mixed feelings towards singapore, which i think is not uncommon amongst those who have lived abroad for a period of time. having spent what i think are my formative years abroad, sometimes i hard it find to think of singapore as home. if itx the ppl who make the place, there really is not much in singapore to keep me. so i am surprised to feel a little tug on the heartstrings when i saw these clips.

here is dick lee singing. if u r not singaporean/ speak dialect, this may not make much sense. ^^



hossan leong. hmmm. good song i think. really a concise history, with little slices of life thrown in as well.



so why should i feel anything when i saw these clips? itx just some effeminate guys singing funny songs. so why should it make me miss singapore, even if just a little? i guess you can't deny where you were born and raised. must have ate too much sg mud and soil as a kid.

other than that, the gov must have put something in the water other than the fluoride to keep ur teeth strong to stop ppl like me from running away. LOL. (hah. will this get censored? the reach of the PAP is long...:P)

ps. usual style. brisbane trip will be posted late even though i must say it was a BLAST! ^^. come on. look at the title. does the word "lazy" mean anything? ^^

2 comments:

cherritan said...

Yes, definitely know where you are coming from.

I've been in Aust since i was 19. I still remember the time when I was returning to Brisbane from my short vacation in SG, and when the plane touched down, for the first time, I thought to myself, "I'm glad to be home."

That was 5 years ago.

I've got my besties in SG but then again, how often do you meet up with them if you are in the same country? Not much, cos most of them will be busy with work and family.

But still, still can't shake off the sense of familiarity. After all, I've spent a considerable amount of time there.

Yeah, nice song by hossan leong. i like him, he's funny. :) Not a fan of Dick Lee though..

yan said...

ah. i think i know who you are "scientific woman employee." ^^ only know of one who's from brisbane and speaks german. lol. how is ignatius doing? ^^

yes. itx very strange, isn't it? i mean, i can say with a lot of certainty i would be unhappy working and living in sg if i go back now. but then again, itx the sense of familiarity like you said; the food, the late night hawker centers, the aunties and uncles who work there... even i miss those things sometimes. so home is more than the ppl who make it? you can say home is where the heart is, but frankly i do not find it easy to say where my heart is. i remember california with great fondess, more than i feel for sg, and even here in aussieland, i am already creating very fond memories too. sometimes, i wish we can all be citizens of the world, rather than specific countries, and get rid of all that issues with multiple citizenships.

thanks for dropping by! and commenting! is much appreciated. love your website layout, wish i could group things like your soapbox :p