Sunday 19 April 2009

future challenge

this is where i am going next month.

this is my patient profile.

most ppl see this.

i see this.
why am i doing this? because i know, in all likelihood, i will not work in paediatrics as a career. because it is not something i have experienced, because it is out of my comfort zone. of course, can go on about gaining as much experience as you can, making the most of the opportunities available to you, knowing your limits, knowing yourself etc, but right now, as i am in the midst of preparing, this particular incident keeps popping into me head:

me in middle of playgroup of babies under 1 year of age. a group of 4 or 5 babies, all crawling, trying to stand, falling down all over the place. lady carer, who was trying to be nice, plonked a baby in front of me. baby was cute, fat, cuddly. i stared at the baby. baby stared back at me, wide eyed. i go, "hi. what's your name?"

idiot.

No comments: