Sunday 3 February 2008

post 54. meeting another CMA practitioner

So I had a recent meet-up with an local practitioner of Chinese martial arts (CMA), and it's quite frustrating.

1) Why play the game of seeing who's tougher? I'm didn't come by to test how strong or tough you are, even if I am heaps younger than you. Getting me to try to crush your hand, honestly, it's a far cry from Zhou lao shi's hand. I'm quite sad that someone of his age had to actually try that.

2) Please speak clearly. Don't try to throw out terms that I don't understand, and when I ask, do not answer. Why? Is it supposed to impress me? It doesn't, especially when you do not even know what xing yi. Gosh. Fine, maybe you are not exposed to it, and you are a practical kind of person who doesn't read a lot of books. But then don't start throwing out terms like "Do you practise gong," and when I say I don't exactly understand the question, smile smugly and don't clarify. Are you asking about fali, or yunqi, zhan zhuan or what? Just say it. Don't try to hide behind mystique and think it makes you appear wise.

3) Yes, xing yi has tiger form. Just because I'm only learning the five element fists doesn't mean xing yi doesn't have it. Also, pi quan is part of tiger form. And fancy not knowing the five element fists and five element theory are linked. No, honestly, get your facts right before showing off your superior knowledge. Else, it's just sad. And I don't care if you have 5 tigers at home. Cos you know what, you don't explain what it means, and you are obviously not willing to share. If you want to show off, fine. You know what, I have a bear back home in Australia too. His name is Pooh and he's real mean if you deny him his honey. My bear against your 5 tigers anytime.

Sigh. If a man's action reveals his character, I'm glad I'm learning from a non-Singaporean. No, honestly, I don't understand what he was trying to do. I only wanted to talk, but obviously, he doesn't and was off on a tangent.

But I'm pretty pleased with myself. Lol, I think I'm getting quite good at hiding contempt and disdain behind a smiling mask. Getting devious in my old age. Hahaha. I think if it was a younger me, I would have just gotten up and left. Proabably threw my drink in his face if he really pissed me off. Must congratulate myself for a good job sitting there, smiling and listening. Well done!

But seriously, if that is the caliber of practitioners here in Singapore, then it is quite sad. But okay, just one person. We'll see.

No comments: